Sunday, May 21, 2023

๐ŸŒ†My Life in New Rochelle a Resident's Perspective

 ๐ŸกGrowing Up in New Rochelle, NY






I am Thomas Roberts, also known as RealtorTom, and I have been a resident of New Rochelle, NY for over five decades. My father, Dr. Donald Roberts, served as the pastor of the First Presbyterian Church on 50 Pintard Avenue from 1966 to 1984. Unfortunately, he passed away in 2015 at Montefiore Hospital, formerly known as New Rochelle Hospital.

Throughout my life, regardless of my location or circumstances, I have always considered New Rochelle my true home. Growing up as a Preacher's Kid (PK) and living in the manse adjacent to the church, I felt at the center of New Rochelle's vibrant community. Various community leaders frequently visited my father, seeking his guidance and collaboration. He actively engaged with different groups and community organizers in the city, playing a key role in the establishment of July-o-Rama on David's Island during the late 1960s and early 1970s. Moreover, both of my parents dedicated themselves to feeding the homeless, leading support groups, and supporting numerous community leaders of that era. New Rochelle, during the 1970s and 1980s, offered an exceptional environment for my upbringing.

Artwork on the Wall at 14 Biehn St

During my younger years in New Rochelle, I witnessed significant events, including the fire at New Rochelle High School in May 1968, the grand opening of the "New Mall" on LeCount Place in November 1968, the sniper incident at the Neptune storage building on Weyman Avenue, the fire at Crab Tree Motors in December 1971, the opening of the New Library on Laughton Place, and the closure of the old library on Pintard Avenue.

Among the cherished memories, I recall the movie theaters on Main Street, namely RKO Proctors, Town Theater, and the small theater across from Town Theater, which hosted the long-running Rocky Horror Picture Show. These landmarks have come and gone, with the "Mall" being closed and demolished, only to be reborn as "New Roc City," which now faces an uncertain future.

One of our favorite dining spots while growing up was the Thru-way Diner, which, I believe, has now transformed into a Walgreens. When I attended college in West Virginia, I often tried to convey to my classmates what it was like living in a true melting pot. New Rochelle exemplified a community where people from diverse cultural and social backgrounds coexisted and worked together, fostering tolerance and creating a vibrant mix of individuals and ideas. Undoubtedly, New Rochelle has encountered challenges and faced significant issues. As the city progresses, these challenges and opportunities will continue to shape its identity. In many ways, this ever-evolving fabric of the city creates a patchwork, akin to a beautifully multi-colored quilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What are Unrealized Taxes on Real Estate Gains

  Unrealized Gains in Real Estate Unrealized gains in real estate refer to the increase in the value of a property you own but have not yet ...